Tuesday, January 13, 2009

CCLS 23 Things #22: E-Audiobooks

I had forgotten that you have to install the Overdrive Media Console in order to download. I definitely don't want this on my home computer, so will wait until I have time at work...

Update: Wednesday, January 14
I've successfully downloaded an audiobook onto my PC at work, and listened to the first chapter. The process of installing the software went smoothly and quickly. The process of choosing a title to download was not so simple.

I decided to try a children's book, and searched for a few of my favorite authors: Gordon Korman, Donna Jo Napoli, Jordan Sonnenblick. Nothing.

Eventually I chose one of Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, The Ersatz Elevator, because I had heard that the reader, Tim Curry, was fantastic. It's true, but I still don't like being read to.

I discovered that the Overdrive media player allows you to speed up or slow down the playback of the file. That makes for some really weird effects. I felt really anxious and unsettled listening to the speeded-up playback. It was difficult to understand, too. Even for informational text, I can't imagine using this option.

But the good news is, I've completed all the projects! So, mission accomplished!

No comments: